Monday 25 November 2013

Pathway Research: Artist: Charles Zembillas Revisited

I'm revisiting an artist who I posted about before, Charles Zembillas.
Before, I didn't touch on why his art impacts me and why I find his art to be good, so I'm gonna touch on that in this post and make my research a tad more interesting.

I discovered after posting the first time that Charles also worked on the Spyro the Dragon series, another game I played during my childhood and one that impacts my artwork and game design to this day.


Charles Zembillas was the head concept artist on the Crash Bandicoot series, creating the first every concept of Crash, dubbing him 'Willy the Wombat', and to this day, Charles continues to draw Crash as a staple of his work, despite him not working for Naughty Dog or the Crash series anymore.
He now owns an animation and character design university in California.

Charles development work on Dr. N.Tropy from Crash 3, you can see the design evolve into the final look.
N.Tropy is also a favorite character of mine, mainly because he's suave and British.


I really like the way Charles draws his characters, from the get-go his characters have personality and are chock full of imagination.
His trademark style seems to be large expressive eyes, exaggerated proportions and cartoon anatomy, something I can really relate to.
His art style reminds me of my own, probably because I grew up around his work, even if I didn't know it.



Development of the Coco Bandicoot character.
I really like her design from the get go.
Growing up playing Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and watching video game related show's he worked on as a character designer (Such as Sonic SatAM and The Super Mario bros show.) have really left a big impact, and I drop nods to Charles's character designs to this day in my own work.
I also want to start doing more rough designs like he does for my characters instead of going straight to the final design.

A page where Charles show's off every piece of concept art he did for Spyro the Dragon (50+ images) is here: http://www.theanimationacademy.com/spyromenu.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment