Wednesday 4 December 2013

A Rakes Progress - Press Start (Back 2 Basics)

First off, I'd like to say sorry for the lack of updates recently.
I've caught a flu that's pretty much screwed me up physically and mentally, so I've had little to no drive to create art until now, and the flu is still there, I'm just surprisingly ambitious today, which is odd since I'm feeling worse today than I have for the past few days.
It's kept me away from college too.

Anyways, I've been exploring different ways of showing my version of 'A Rakes Progress', but something hasn't clicked, which I'll explain after showing off this drawing, where I experimented with drawing the main character in different styles:


Next, I need to admit something.
The video game idea I had for A Rakes Progress was perfect in my eyes, I had a well thought out story laid out, interesting characters ready to be drawn, ideas out the wazoo and I was prepared to explore into other things, as long as it stayed within my pathway. (Combination of Digital and traditional Illustration.)
I'm enjoying the exploration into stuff like costume design, as that can be tied into the game theme through Cosplay and soon I'm going to try and do some world designs and objects, but I'm not enjoying being told to do something else because "I'm too used to the medium I'm using." (I thought a Pathway is using the things you're talented in and use them to your advantage in the project, so in the Pathway stage I'd use my pathway.)


The costume design I did to break up the character design a bit.
I imagine them being either part of a play based on the game or three Cosplays, which is something I'm into.

Digital illustration in Character Design is my Pathway, and while I don't mind exploring in my pathway (I'm fond of the idea of trying object and landscape design), I'm not going to change my pathway entirely by using a medium I dislike. (Like being told to use paint when I could spend that time developing something new for my current idea using my Pathways tools.)
I was once asked "Are you going to do anything else this year besides game design?".


Yes, I intend to explore different Illustration styles such as movie, TV show and comic book character, object and landscape design later in future projects, but for this project, I've settled on a video game theme as its what I could see Rakes Progress, and the idea that's the strongest so far. (In my honest dangum diddly opinion.)
The characters I had designed so far, Tom Rakewell, Sarah Young and Nicola Shadow.
The comments I got on these characters when displayed to my friends and family yielded strong results and cemented my focus on this as my final idea for this project.














I'm sticking with the game design idea for A Rakes Progress, and using illustration to convey my idea.
I'm really optimistic about this idea and have a ton of ideas to use, and I intend to explore too into object, clothing and landscape design.
After this project, I won't use game design again unless I have a really strong idea for my FMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment