Monday 16 December 2013

A Rakes Progress - Character Design: Tom Rakewell/Rakeman Jr

I thought since I'm getting into the meat of this project now, I should start explaining the origins of my character designs and what they were inspired by.
The first character is the lead role, Tom Rakewell.
Tom Rakewell AKA Rakeman Jr
What was the main inspiration?To start with, I was thinking Tom Rakewell was going to be a robot that had a message of "No matter how much you upgrade your appearance, you're still the same nuts and bolts on the inside."
This was scrapped and I started thinking about characters I know and began crossing similarities between them.
One character that seemed like a perfect match for Tom Rakewell was the character of King Candy/Turbo, from the Disney film Wreck-It Ralph.

King Candy from Wreck-It Ralph. (One of my big inspirations for this project.)

The similarities were startling, from them both becoming something they're not (Tom becoming rich and Turbo becoming the ruler of another game), both going from an average person to someone of regal standing and wealth (Tom becoming a rich rake and Turbo becoming King Candy), and both becoming somewhat insane by the end. (Tom becoming insane in poverty and King Candy becoming the demented Turbo again.)

My design of Tom Rakewell was based around King Candy, but I've attempted to take the design in my own path, with a design that resembles King Candy and other game characters on the aesthetic level but can also just seem like my art style.
I've also based Tom's insane/glitched form from the end of the story on the character of Turbo, which is who King Candy was before he hijacked Sugar Rush. (And debatably insane himself.)


Turbo, the character King Candy was before he became the King, which I thought is similar to what Tom Rakewell was like, though Turbo is forwarded by his ego, unlike Tom who's forwarded by his wealth.
A Headsheet for Tom Rakewell, where I've still sticked with a similar look to King Candy, but now with more of my style and a touch of game characters from the time period.
Why 'Rakeman Jr'?In video games, sometimes a sequel to a video game will be "*First game name here* 'Jr", which usually stars the son of the hero of the first game, a popular example of this is Donkey Kong with Donkey Kong Jr, Pacman with Pacman Jr and more closer to my inspiration, Fix-It Felix Jr from Wreck-It Ralph.
The idea seemed to fit since in the paintings, Tom inherits his wealth from his father, which in the game sense, the fathers wealth is his video game.
The name 'Rakeman' came from the idea I had of Tom Rakewell literally 'Raking' in his game, which gives him the Rakeman title.

No comments:

Post a Comment