Tuesday 10 September 2013

Personal Project - Omicron (Anime inspired project)

I
I've recently started a personal project called Omicron. 
The basis of the project is to develop digital shading techniques and also attempt drawing characters at different angles than usual.
The main focus is character design. (As per usual.)



I'm planning on developing at least six main hero characters, with a unique design for each. 
The names of these characters come from Latin/Roman origin, such as Alpha, Omega, Beta, Gamma and so on. 
The lineart on these characters is drawn on paper and the colours are added digitally. 


The lineart is photographed and imported into Photoshop, where I cut the lineart out of the paper background. 
Next, I fill in the block colours on layers beneath the lineart layers. 
I shade in the colour using the polygonal selection tool and the normal hard brush. 
Finishing touches like glowing are created by creating a layer above the finished image, and using a soft brush, I add a glow to the layer and turn the opacity to around 40%, creating a glowing effect. 
The finished image is usually quite jagged around the lineart, but reducing the image to around 1000px in size reduces the fuzziness in the lineart and makes for a smoother image. (Printing the image in its original size will smooth the lineart automatically, so resizing the image is only beneficial for uploading the images somewhere.)

I will keep updating over time on this project, as it is beneficial to both my college work and my own personal skills. 
Plus, it's a fun project to do. 




No comments:

Post a Comment