Wednesday 12 February 2014

Alternative Miss World - Post-Apocalyptic Distressing Test #1

I wanted to make the outfit I'm creating as realistic as possible, so I looked for a tutorial on how to distress my costume to make it look Post-Apocalyptic and worn.
I found a tutorial by Nuclear Snail Studios, a german Youtube user who creates Post-Apocalyptic clothing for photo shoots, short films and events, and seems to be really good at it.

 

The above video is a tutorial on how to create grungy clothing for Post-Apocalyptic settings.
This tutorial helped me greatly in discovering how to distress my costume.
He uses black paint, gravel (cement mix in my case), plaster powder and clear spray paint to seal it.
I followed his tutorial closly and attempted to distress clothing myself.
 

The test cloth before I distressed it.

The test cloth after distressing; notice how it looks extremely worn and grungy.

A better shot of the distressed tets piece.
 
My second test piece; The leg protectors from my costume; the one on the left is before and the other is after.
 
Second shot.
A better look at the Leg Protector after it's been distressed; I really like the way it looks.

Wearing the Leg Protectors; it looks a lot more convincing nows it's been distressed. (Though it's also a lolt more messy to wear too.)

 I really likke the outcome on both, they look a lot more immersive than just the plain 'brand new' look, and the ammount of little details in them is brilliant.
I would have done more, but the weather hates me and it decided to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment